Setting up a new office? You’ll be faced with many decisions, from where to locate to what kind of computers to buy. The articles in this section will help you plan an office that will maximize productivity and save money.
For information about mobile offices, visit the Work Anywhere section of My Business.
Office Space Resources
These articles will help you make decisions about moving to a new office space or improving the one you have.
- Selecting the Right Office Space – Find out how to identify your needs, locate a suitable community or neighborhood, and decide whether to buy or rent.
- Virtual Offices and Executive Suites – Explore these cost-effective ways to acquire a prestigious office address and administrative support without a long term commitment.
- Improving Your Existing Office – Learn how to create an office that is safe, comfortable and designed for maximum productivity.
Equipment: Hardware and Software
Your office needs the right hardware and software to function well. These articles provide information to help you make wise choices.
- Choosing the Right Office Equipment – Here’s a concise guide to identifying the hardware you need and finding the best options for printing, copying, scanning, faxing and smartphones.
- Choosing the Right Office Computers – Desktop or laptop? Find out how to assess your computer needs and design a system that will work for you and your employees.
- Small Business Software – Here’s a brief overview of the most common types of small business software, with tips on choosing products that do the job without breaking the bank.
- Your Operating System: Options and Upgrades – Learn about the differences between Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. If you already have an operating system, read some tips on upgrading to a newer version.
Business Services, Supplies and “Green” Products
These articles will help you negotiate with business service providers, buy office supplies the smart way, and launch budget-smart “green” office practices.
- The Right Shipping and Print Services for your Business – Shipping and printing can be costly for a small business. Learn about your options and how to maximize value without sacrificing quality.
- Office Supply Options: Choose With Care – Should you buy online or at an office supply store? Learn about the pros and cons of each.
- Green Practices - Good for Nature - and Business – Find out what you can do to save money and energy in your workplace. And learn about resources to help you understand environmental regulations and keep your business in compliance.